Jill writing again. The countdown is on! Nate arrives home on Sunday, Lord willing. 5 days and counting. Honestly, I have been so thankful for the cards, letters, emails, etc. We are blessed, and the time has gone quickly. I even received a notice that I have a "large package" that will not fit in the post office box! I asked the business office at Rosslyn if I need to pay anything to receive it, and she said, "No." Tis a mystery. We'll see if that is true. But she also said that they'll send someone from Rosslyn to pick it up for us. That is one of the great things about working at a place like Rosslyn.
Update on the electrician situation:
He of course didn't come the first day they told me he would come. Nor the second time I was told he would come. But finally on Saturday morning the guard knocked at my door at 8:30, and said he's coming at 9. He didn't actually show up until 10:30, but he was there in person!
He pulled the fixture from the ceiling, and showed me at least 4 wires that were completely bare. He said that the bulbs heated up too much, and melted the plastic coating on the wires so they shorted out. Do bulbs really get that hot? And shouldn't a fixture be made to prevent that? And isn't the plastic coating on a wire supposed to withstand some heat?
He replaced the wires, but said it will happen again unless our landlady gets energy-saver bulbs that don't heat up so hot. He said he will tell her again. Perhaps in a year she will get them. :o)
My kindergarten quote of the day: We were talking about orphan bear cubs, and I asked anyone if they knew what an orphan was, then if anyone had ever been to an orphanage.
One child raised his hand. "I've been to two orphanages! I played with the children at one. And one time we went to an apple orphanage and I picked apples!"
One other fun kindergarten moment of the day happened this morning while we were reading our morning devotional. The children were sitting on the carpet facing me, and suddenly their faces got wide-eyed and looked above my head. "A spider!" someone said, pointing towards the ceiling. Sure enough, there was a rather large spider creeping its way down the wall. It stopped halfway, and stayed very still. One student mentioned that perhaps he was listening to our devotion. I agreed that it could be so, and we'll just let him listen rather than kill him. Once we were finished, we said a prayer for the day and the kids started writing in their journals. One of my Korean girls wrote something like this: "Today we had a spider in our class. It was listening to our story. But Mrs. Milton wasn't scared because she believes in God."
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Light bulbs can definitely get that hot--they are used in incubators, etc. but the wires are supposed to be coated to resist melting--I suspect they must be using a less resistant wire, probably a lower grade than typically used here in the states. And I glad you had the spider and not me--Im not very fond of spiders!
ReplyDeleteI love what kids say and write! So cute! Thanks for sharing. :-)
ReplyDelete