For the month of May, I have left Jill to hold down the fort in Nairobi, while I attend the Africa Peacebuilding Institute (API) in Kitwe, Zambia. Sponsored by Mennonite Central Committee, API addresses basic issues involved in bringing about peace and reconciliation between groups at odds with one another. In my class, I sit aside grassroots' leaders some of whom have fought against and overcome Apartheid in South Africa, and others who have languished for years in Ethiopian jails because of their vibrant faith in Jesus. Truly, the rich discussions and blossoming friendships are equipping me with tools and examples necessary for me to begin a small work in peacebuilding with Somali refugees in Eastleigh.
Just today, we discussed the two most effective tools in effecting social change: love and acceptance. During our seminar, the facilitator related an experience in Western Kenya in which she had to include the enemies of her movement in the process of peacemaking in order to ensure a long-lasting, sustainable ceasefire between rival tribes. She talked of the challenges she faced in finding ways to demonstrate love and respect, and described the change that it had made.
The seminar leader's experience forced me to consider how I could apply these principles in my context. Specifically, how can I involve members of militant groups working in Eastleigh in the process of peace in the community? Far from congenial, members of these factions continue to wreak havoc in Somalia, as the daily news briefs attest. As I brought up the issue in class, several participants offered concrete examples of steps that they had taken in their region of Africa. A brother from Northern Uganda talked of discussions with rebels; a new friend from South Africa related his experiences in approaching members of two warring gangs in Cape Town. As these participants spoke, the words of Jesus echoed in my spirit; “love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.” I pray that God would give all of us the ability to live out this command in order to bring about a world that more accurately reflects God's Kingdom here on Earth.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment