Thursday, July 17, 2008

Listening

I (Nate) am currently reading through the Old Testament and have just hit 2 Kings. I figured that the blog site would be a good spot to record some of the things that the Lord lays on my heart as I read through. So, here is my first entry on that theme...

I Kings 22:8 "...There is still one man through whom we can inquire of the Lord, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah."

When I read through this passage a few days ago, the issue of hearing the Lord hit me. Basically, in this section of Scripture, Ahab is trying to figure out if he will successfully defeat another people in battle. He gathers a ton of prophets around him (whom I guess are not of the Lord) who assure him that he will succeed. But, he wants to hear from the Lord. Unfortunately, Micaiah tells the truth as he hears it from God (I Kings 22:14), and comes with a message of destruction for Ahab.

As I read, I wondered how I listen to God. I questioned if I try to gather "prophets" around me who will tell me what I want to hear, or instead what I need to hear. Also, when my friends or spouse bring messages that are not so appealing to me (that I need to change some aspect
of my character, or point out some sin in my life that I have to deal with), do I respond by looking for other people who will refute that message? Do I look for people who will help me to ignore words from the Lord?

This passage reminded me of a time three years ago, when I had originally planned to head abroad. Unfortunately, the agency that I had planned to work for felt that I had a different vision than they did, and suggested that I pursue some healing in my life before I head abroad. I was incredibly disappointed, because I had already waited around Lancaster County for 3 years, and I was determined to go. Deep down, I knew that this insight was from the Lord, but I really wanted to head abroad at that time. So, I applied for a job in Nairobi, Kenya with Church World Service, received the job offer which I accepted, and was waiting for my visa to arrive. While I was waiting, the Lord made it clear that I was to stay home. In this situation, I could have been like Ahab and looked for "prophets" who would support my move, but instead I decided to follow the word that the Lord originally gave me, and reluctantly backed out of my commitment with CWS in Kenya. It was a very difficult decision. Now, however, I am so glad that I followed what the Lord told me to do. I really didn't understand at that time why I had to stay home and not go; during this time, however, I met Jill, received more training, and experienced significant healing. Now, the Lord is sending me (actually US!) to Kenya, and has made it clear why I was to stay. I have no clue where I would be if I would have ignored the Lord's direction for my life at that time; I am so glad I listened to the "prophet of the Lord" and not sought out other "prophets" who would tell me what I wanted to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Amen.

    (I always learn so much from your reflections too)

    ReplyDelete