Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Giraffe Center

Just today, I had one of the best days since we arrived here in Kenya. Eastleigh Fellowship Center received a grant from a local Kenyan church to take the students from the center to a small park in Nairobi where visitors can pet giraffes. The bus, which accommodates sixty riders, had to cope with the ninety-two students and other community members who heard about the free trip outside of Eastleigh, and turned up ready to go along. Riders filled every square inch of the bus, including the aisles. I am glad that I drove separately.

This outing made my heart happy in so many ways. First, the Ethiopian and Somali students often fail to get along in class, because of a tradition of animosity and distrust between the two groups. However, today, students had the opportunity to know each other not based on cultural differences, but instead on shared experiences of petting giraffes and exploring a new location. Secondly, I loved the fact that a Kenyan church underwrote the cost for this venture, not a church from the West. This commitment to outreach and giving back really touched me, and gives me hope that believers in Kenya are starting to respond to God's command to love their neighbors. Finally, the day gave me the opportunity to participate in a variety of cultures. I saw incredible Oromo singers with festive, traditional dress sway to their creative rhythms. I laughed with Somalis who put on a humorous skit, and listened as they proudly sang their national anthem, while waving their flag. We connected in a way that can never happen when we stay in Eastleigh. What a day!

I have uploaded some pictures below so that you can get a small taste of the activities of the day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment