I’ve seen far too many bribes exchanged during our short tenure in Kenya. The police frequently stop motorists and matatu drivers, expecting, “kitu kidogo.” At times, the requests make us laugh. One time a policeman told us to give him a soda. I’m not sure that I ever drive with a soda in the back seat, ready to hand out. Mostly, officials demand cash. Even on the way to church two weeks back, the matatu driver pulled to the side of the road, walked to the back left hand corner of the vehicle and slipped the policeman some money so that we could pass the check point. Transparency International, an organization committed to measuring and documenting corruption across the world, reports that 50% of Kenyans’ interaction with police will end with a bribe. This practice certainly angers me, but the behavior of members of society at the top of the food chain especially infuriates me.
Both Jill and I are reading, “It’s Our Turn to Eat” by Michela Wrong. This well-written (and highly recommended!) book sets the story of John Githongo, the anti-corruption minister appointed under the first Kibaki administration, behind the backdrop of Kenyan politics and tribalism. This fascinating account pinpoints some of the roots of hostility which caused the post-election violence in December 2007, and follows the leaders of Kenya who still rule the roost in spite of the fact that they stole almost $1 billion dollars in booty from the Kenyan people in a scheme dubbed the “Anglo Leasing Scandal.” This page turner invariably causes me to shake my fists in the air and, like the prophets of the Old Testament, call for God to bring justice.
These experiences have also made me wonder how I could do more to partner with God to bring about His will here “on earth as it is in heaven.” I certainly see how corrupt leaders have lined their pockets with the billions of dollars meant to assist in improving the lives of the poor. Michela Wrong quotes one expert who says that the money from the Anglo Leasing Scandal alone would pay for Retro-Viral Drugs for all the AIDS patients in Kenya for ten years. Certainly, corruption and injustice continue to thwart development efforts. I can only imagine the direction that God will take us that would enable me to combat these evils in the future.
nate
No comments:
Post a Comment