Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Jill writing
School is over for the "summer," Nate has returned home, and life is back to normal...mostly.

Two Saturdays ago, a group of friends and I attempted to climb Mt. Suswa. It's not frequently done, so there weren't clear directions on how to get there or where any kind of trail existed. We tried, and received some help from some wonderful Masai women, but didn't make it up to the highest point. We'll just have to try again. But it was so nice to hike around and enjoy the beautiful Kenya weather. Everything is greener since the rain. I also got some great photos, this one being my favorite I think.


Then last Saturday, some of my friends asked if I would join them on a 10k run. The registration money went to an organization called Bible Translation and Literacy (BTL) which helps get Bibles to the small tribes in Kenya. The run went really well, and once again it was a small victory for me. 6 years ago I was in the middle of chemotherapy for Hodgkin's...but today I can run 10k and I feel so alive! Thank you Lord.

My friend Kristen who was my running partner this year, and moved with her husband to Juba, Sudan yesterday. I will miss her.

Nate and I begin our Swahili tutoring today (we have both been tutored at different times, but this month begins our regular tutoring). Nate and I are reminded nearly every day in our interactions with Kenyans that yes, we can get by with English, but it is so important to learn Swahili.

No comments:

Post a Comment