Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making it practical

Luke 10:25-37

On Sunday, Jill and I were driving through Westlands, heading to our weekly get together at the Guesthouse when we passed a scene that continues to disturb me. As we drove past the Western-looking mall called “Westgate,” on the road where several touts sell puppies, rabbits and kittens, I saw a man who was lying by the side of the road, bleeding from severe wounds on his head and chest. I have no clue what led him to this situation. In Kenya, a mob routinely will form to violently punish a thief captured on the street; perhaps the man had robbed someone and had experienced this form of justice. Or, as often happens, a reckless driver may have barreled down the poorly paved road a little too quickly, lost control and hit him. Who knows? Regardless of what took place, the scene disturbed me a great deal—not only because I had never seen that level of injury before, but also because of my response. Better said, my lack of response. I saw the injured man, recoiled with disgust at having seen such a horrid sight, and wondered aloud to Jill about the care that the man was receiving. But, I kept on driving; I didn’t stop to help. “After all, one individual seemed to be attending to the man’s wounds,” I justified to myself. Frankly, I feared the potential of becoming a victim of crime: at times, criminals in Nairobi set up these scenes in order to rob people who respond to help.

This experience continues to haunt me. I recall the parable of the Good Samaritan, who, in spite of the risks of robbers on that road, and the potential for physical harm, risked his life sacrificially to save an innocent traveler attacked on the road. I realize that my actions resemble the priest and the Levite in the story far more than the Samaritan, and don’t exactly know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

nate

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is a tough one. I think I probably would have done the same thing as you, Nate. I also feel bad about that because it does feel exactly like the Good Samaritan story. Why can't I truly trust God to watch over me? I pray that God will forgive us for our weakness to fear, and help us to trust His strength to do His will. I also pray to act rather than discuss it in so many words the next time because otherwise I fear I am just showing arrogance and trying to justify my actions (or lack of action) rather than following through on my "wise" words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, it's a hard call. It happens to the best of us; we all hope that we would react like the good samaratin, but alas, it is not always possible. I would suggest at this point prayerful reflection, so that next time, perhaps, you'll know what to do? Think of this as a "training."

    We should of have had this discussion in class! Chamba would have offered him a cigarette ;)

    ReplyDelete