We have been experiencing many new things since we have moved to Kenya: left-hand side of the road driving, water rations and power outages, and best of all food! We have had some culinary adventures in the Milton household. Here is a quick trip to tantalize your taste buds:
1. Passion Fruit Juice! We have
purchased both purple and yellow passion fruit and made some very tasty juice from scratch. I (Nate) had fun cutting this weird-looking fruit and scooping out the insides, and then blending up the pulp to separate the seed from the flesh. I used a sieve to extract the broken seeds and then added water and lots of sugar for flavoring. Ta
sty!
purchased both purple and yellow passion fruit and made some very tasty juice from scratch. I (Nate) had fun cutting this weird-looking fruit and scooping out the insides, and then blending up the pulp to separate the seed from the flesh. I used a sieve to extract the broken seeds and then added water and lots of sugar for flavoring. Ta
sty!2. Korean food... The Korean community at Rosslyn treated the teachers and spouses to an incredible meal of sweet potato noodles (yeah, we actually liked something with sweet potatoes!), seaweed rolls, kimchi (a bit too spicy), incredible bbq'ed beef and rice cakes. Delicious.
5. Spicy curries. I (Nate) have just about cooked every curry and chutney listed in the extending the table cookbook. We loved the Kenyan hamburger curry and the "meat and potato" curry from India; almost all of them have been excellent.
6. Middle Eastern Food. Thankfully, an MCC worker who had business in Kenya was able to tote my Middle Eastern cookbook across the Atlantic. Just last night, Jill and I made 16 delicious pitas, a roasted pepper and tomato salad and hummus.
7. And of course, we have experienced our fair share of Kenyan cuisine! On many occasions, we have filled our plates with sikuma wiki, kale fried with onions and garlic, ugali, corn meal with a consistency of mashed potatoes, and beef stew.
We are definitely not starving.
nate & jill





hey guys - it's amazing how international - korean food in kenya!? - the cuisine is there. we truly live in a globalized world.
ReplyDeleteawesome! the food you've eaten sounds SO good. I'm so glad to hear you're part of couch surfing- it's a great way to meet new friends.
ReplyDeleteCan I come over for dinner soon? We are enjoying trying new food here in Bolivia too? Although, we're left with much less energy to cook than it sounds like you have. :-) I'm glad to catch up on your blog today. So interesting to hear about your daily routines and the difficult experiences too(good samaritan question?) Wow...I have no answer on that one and I need one for the six year old in my life. I better send you an email instead of such a long comment. Thanks for blogging.~Laurie
ReplyDelete