Monday, March 16, 2009

Seeking understanding

I’m still in the process of learning Somali. At the moment, I can have small conversations about everyday life (particularly about the news regarding my family, wife, extended family, sheep, goats, camels , and other livestock), but deep philosophical issues still escape my Somali vocabulary. I even have trouble expressing many basic concepts that seem straightforward (“my shoes are on my feet”, for example). Certainly, this reality is a bit discouraging after studying for 7 months. This language is both complex and bizarre! As I continue to slog away at figuring out how to make folks understand me, I’ve mulled over the words of a prayer, traditionally attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. One section of the prayer reads:

“…O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand, to be loved as to love…”

It’s far too easy for me to begin asserting myself, and making sure that people understand me, and where I’m coming from. Here in Nairobi, I can bring my Master’s degree, and tons of theory about what’s going on in this region, and offer ways to “solve” the Somali quagmire. Unfortunately, this arrogant stance would prohibit me from listening; I would fail to collaborate with the community to work together not only to identify problems but also mete out possible solutions. This extended bit of forced humility has ensured that I take time to listen and learn from my new friends before I argue my own views. Even though this is a good lesson, I honestly hope that sometime soon, I can begin to be understood!

1 comment:

  1. It's a great thing that God made different languages. They are there for the very reason you expressed: so that we don't come as experts, but as learners. 7 months along is nothing, language learning will continue and you'll learn more humility! May God give you both grace and joy in the long trip.

    ReplyDelete